Wednesday 1 May 2013

Investing in more effective ways of giving - my quest for summer 2013 in Ghana

Would you like to find out more about International aid? 


With more and more people and institutions debating the impact of international development and increasing attacks on its effectiveness, I would like to invite you to follow my journey evaluating NGOs in Ghana.

Research into the effectiveness of " Radio Guru "  
the Mountain Trust's radio school in Nepal, April 2012


Many of you will have helped me raise funds for the charity I worked with last year in Ghana for 3 months from November 2011 – February 2012 (Cheerful Hearts Foundation) as I helped them reach their target requirement of raising $5000 from at least 40 unique donors, in the Global Giving Open Challenge – which enabled them to gain a permanent place on the Global Giving website. Through this I got to know Global Giving and how it gives each charity, that fulfils certain criteria (for example they have to be registered as a charity in their own country) the chance to receive funds they may traditionally not have had access to. 
Global Giving was set up as a charity fundraising website to change the way people give, offering donors a transparent, high-impact giving experience. In addition, Global Giving supports their partner projects with training and feedback from the UK. This year is the first year that they will be sending volunteers to evaluate the impact and the effectiveness of the projects. I am delighted to be part of the team and cannot wait to get started. I will be evaluating Global Giving UK partner projects on the ground in Ghana, by checking how they use their funds, if they go to the projects they outlined on the Global Giving site, how the funds can be spent more efficiently and effectively and how their projects can be improved. 


Of course, trips like this always require a certain amount of funding. In addition to travelling costs and living costs once I am in Ghana, I will also be making a £400 donation to one of the projects I will be evaluating (the one where I believe it will be used most resourcefully and make the biggest impact) and I will also be paying for the training session Global Giving UK will provide, as they are a charity and are unable to provide these kinds of resources for free, if they wish all donations to go to their project partners. This means I have started my fundraising endeavours and hope that with your help I can raise the £400 donation and the £250 Global Giving cost for training and administration. The £650 is only my minimum target and I would hope to raise more to support these great projects. 

However, this time I do not just want to ask you to donate money, without getting anything in return, but I would like to try something a bit different by giving those that are willing to support me a small reward. Therefore I propose the following:

  • Donate £1 and get one BIG Thank you
  • Donate £20 and get a Postcard from Ghana
  • Donate £30 and get a Video message from me and the people you are helping in Ghana
  • Donate £80 and get a traditional African blanket/tablecloth
  • Donate £100 and get traditional Ghanaian bag
  • Donate £500 and get an original Kente Woven Textiles to tailor make clothing/bags etc.
  • Donate £1000 and get a tailor made traditional African dress/ shirt
To Donate in pounds (£) please go to my Global Giving Fundraising Page by clicking here.
If you want to donate in Euros, please visit my fundraiser on the betterplace site by clicking here. 

I hope you find this an exciting project and worth your investment and I believe that in order to make international development work we have to invest in evaluation to see how projects can make every £1 achieve more ! 

I will be writing regular updates on this blog in preparation for the trip, but more frequent updates will follow once I am in Ghana. With those blog posts you can then find out where your donations have gone and what kind of impact they have made. I will also be reporting on my experiences, impressions and what I have learnt along the way.

Thank you! 






No comments:

Post a Comment