Saturday 25 May 2013

Some good process in my preparations for my upcoming trip to Ghana


As mentioned in my previous blog, I want to keep you all updated about my preparations before I go to Ghana so that you can find out more about the process involved and my thoughts and feelings.

Today I had my first training session with Global Giving UK in their London office in preparation for my time in Ghana as Project Evaluator. It has all been very exciting and I have already learnt a lot! We went over some of the ways that partner projects can connect with new donors and make the most use of their existing networks (which can be much bigger than they might think) in their fundraising activities and how social media can raise awareness about their project. The training has also made me realise the amount of people I know and how I can get, not only them, but also their contacts, involved in this project in many different ways.

Today has not only provided me with great insights into how to evaluate projects, but it has also made the whole trip become more real. Now I am truly excited to get on the plane and fly off, but I know there is still a lot more to do before then!

I have already started fundraising on the Global Giving website (here is the link http://www.globalgiving.co.uk/fundraisers/assessing-the-impact-of-aid-in-ghana/) so, please do take a look at it and pass it on to anyone you think may be interested in the project and could perhaps support it! I would also like to take the opportunity to thank all of you who have already donated!

In my fundraising endeavours, I have also been planning two Bake Sales in my village in Surrey (Shere). I will be holding one on the 23rd June, before I leave the UK and then one when I am back from Ghana on the 6th October. I have lived in Shere for most of my life and I am very excited to get some of the community members involved in baking and selling the cakes. If you have any great cake or even cookie recipes please do let me know and I would also be grateful if you could help me in the baking or selling process. I am lucky to already have my younger brother, Frank, on board and hopefully I will also have some friends from my old school join me. I have already written an article for the Parish Magazine about the Bake Sale and my project, so if you receive the Magazine, keep your eye out for my article! All I need now is good weather on the two days.

Not only is there the fundraising that needs to be done before I can leave the UK, but I still need to apply for my visa and start packing. Luckily, I have already booked my flights, got all my vaccinations and travel insurance. 

I hope that with all these exciting things going on, I will still find time to revise for my upcoming exams. 

Thank you to all of you who have already donated to my Fundraiser and I look forward to reporting to you how your donations have helped create change in Ghana once I am out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment